Thursday, May 27, 2010

Maryland Deathfest


So it's times like these that I'm giddy as a school girl (I think I've said this before, keep an eye on what drives me like that).

I'm heading down to Baltimore tomorrow for America's biggest and best metal fest. There's a bunch I'm looking forward to, but I'll just include some of my favorites in order to enlighten, remind, or simply spread the gospel.

Gorguts, Coffins, Sodom, Autopsy, Capitalist Casualties, Wolfbrigade, Eyehategod, Incantation, Repulsion, Magrudergrind, and Gridlink.

Here are some links I've borrowed, as uploading all of this would kill me. It's mostly death metal here, excited to see a lot of the bands I don't know.

Gorguts- Obscura
Avant Garde, weird, super technical death metal that's all over the place. Atonal and dissonant as hell, nothing sounds like this.

Coffins- Buried Death
Death metal, slow, and as heavy as heavy gets. An homage to old metal stalwarts such as Incantation, Winter, Hellhammer, and others. One of the best bands around, hands down.

Sodom- Persecution Mania
Sodom, thrash, Sodom, thrash, if you look under Thrash in Webster's i'm sure you'll find Sodom. I don't know what else to say, one of the best things to come out of Germany.

Autopsy- Severed Survival
Another death metal essential, incredible basswork and riffs. Apparently MDF has been bugging Autopsy for the past 4 years to play, it's about time. Great production, things fell apart a couple of albums later and that's where Abscess comes from.

Capitalist Casualties- Subdivisions In Ruin
If you know power violence, then you know CC. It's like Minor Threat and hardcore, this is mandatory. They've got more releases then you can shake a stick at, enjoy this one.

Wolfbrigade- In Darkness You Feel No Regret
Defenders of the d-beat (borrowed from Disfear), originally wolfpack. Stalwarts in Swedish hardcore, if you don't know them then where the hell have you been?

Eyehategod- Dopesick
The epitome of sludge, one of my favorite albums of all time. Dirty, grimey, hopeless and heavy, Dopesick is NOLA's most important contribution.

Incantation- Onwards Towards Golgotha
Along with Autopsy, a similar slow death metal band of the glory days. Few albums are as heavy as this, pretty atmospheric for a death metal band.

Repulsion- Horrified
Duuuuuuuuuur, one of grindcore's finest moments. Saw these guys back in june play the whole thing, super excited to see it again. Sloppy, organic, geniune, and awesome, Horrified is a piece of music history.

Magrudergrind- Rehashed
A nice mix of power violence and grind, Rehashed is where Magrudergrind belongs. Spazz like vocals, great songwriting and excellent production. Not to mention they are awesome live.

5 comments:

Vegas said...

Word on the street is that Sodom couldn't get their visas in time so they won't be making it to MDF.

Unknown said...

yeah, sodom's out. but im practically peeing myself with excitement for TFD. they are going to tear shit up. gridlink, captain cleanoff, and massgrave should also be awesome

Orion said...

I'm heading down Friday morning. Can't wait for this show. Hopefully it will be as much fun as last year. Even more importantly, I hope I remember sunscreen so my face doesn't peel like a red flesh covered banana.

Anonymous said...

HOW'ED IT GO

branka said...

Seriously--where's the review?!

MDF was fucking awesome. Crucial hangouts, seeing some of my favorite bands boggle my mind, and not eating/sleeping enough all made for a perfect weekend!